This green lentil soup is super easy to make and packed with nutrition!
2 medium sized onions
1 stick celery
100g green lentils
500 ml stock
1. Finely chop onions, carrots and celery and place in large pan.
2. Wash lentils to remove starch and add to the pan.
3. Add the stock to the pan.
4. Bring to the boil and simmer until lentils are soft (approx 45 mins).
5. Top up with boiling water throughout cooking as required.
Onions ~ A powerful compound called quercetin in onions is known to play a significant role in preventing cancer. Onions help to boost immunity, reduce inflamation and heal infections.
Carrots ~ It is the antioxidant beta-carotene that gives carrots their bright orange colour. Beta-carotene is absorbed in the intestine and converted into vitamin A during digestion. One medium carrot provides 210% of the average adult’s vitamin A needs for the day.
Celery ~ an excellent source of vitamin C, which can help to fight colds and flu. Celery is also a good source of potassium, which helps to control blood pressure and counteract the negative effects of too much salt in the diet.
Green lentils ~ a great source of protein and iron. They also have a high content of magnesium, which helps your veins and arteries relax, allowing them to function more efficiently.