Does eating healthily mean missing out on deserts, treats and snacks…the great news is that NO it doesn’t! In fact, with our healthy recipes it means that you can enjoy these foods even more, knowing that they’re actually GOOD for you! It doesn’t get much better than that, does it!
These raw vegan caramel cacao quinoa bars are packed with energy, protein, minerals and vitamins. They are full of superfoods and coated in rich, raw cacao…mmmmm
So next time you wanna reach for a chocolate bar, cookie, or your favourite unhealthy snack, try one of these instead!
2 cups Puffed quinoa
1/3 cup (30g) Goji berries
1/2 cup (50g) Oats
1/4 cup (40g) Flaked/slivered almonds
1 tbsp Maca powder
1/2 cup (100g) Fresh dates
1/4 cup Coconut oil
1/2 cup + 2 tbsps Almond milk
2 tbsps (20g) Raw cacao powder
1 tbsp Maple syrup
1 tsp Lucuma powder
2 tbsps Coconut oil
1. Combine the dates, coconut oil and almond milk in the food processor and process until it makes a gooey, sticky caramel, then set aside.
2. Combine the other bar ingredients well in a large mixing bowl, then fold in the date caramel. The mixture should be thick and sticky. Line a square baking tray approximately 8×8″ with greaseproof paper, and spread the mixture evenly in the tray.
3. Place in the freezer to set, and begin working on the raw chocolate topping.
4. Melt the coconut oil and add it to the cacao powder slowly, then mix well to combine all the ingredients for the raw chocolate.
5. Remove the quinoa bars from the freezer and using a teaspoon, drizzle the raw chocolate evenly over the bars.
6. Place back into the freezer to ensure the bars have set, and then chop into 12 bars. You can store these in either the fridge for up to a week or indefinitely in the freezer, just defrost before eating.
Thanks to Siobhan O’Brien for this recipe : )